10 Reasons to Add Coconut Oil to Your Diet
I know, I’ve been talking your ears off about coconut oil lately. In fact, I just gave a 32oz. jar of it away to a very lucky reader.
Sarah was the winner of my Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Giveaway. Everybody say, “Happy coconut oil cooking, Sarah!”
So, the reason I can’t stop yapping about coconut oil is because including it in your diet comes with a lot of great benefits (besides making food taste really good). And if you decide to start cooking with it more often, you might as well get the 411 on all of the amazing things it can do for you and your body.
Coconut oil is not only a super-healthy alternative to other oils that are commonly used for cooking and baking, but it can also be used as a moisturizer for skin, a shine treatment for hair, and the list goes on and on.
I love that there are a lot of really cool things that coconut oil can be used for, but since we all know I like talking about food the most, I’m going to share my top 10 reasons why coconut oil should be added to your diet. Especially for runners, athletes, people with weight loss goals, and well actually… Just everyone in general!
1. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: Coconut oil is known for improving thyroid function, which in turn boosts metabolism and increases energy and endurance levels. (What up my fellow runners?! How about some coconut oil before that long-distance run?)
2. Belly Fat Blaster: A study from 2009 revealed that a group of women who regularly consumed 30 milliliters of coconut oil for 12 weeks were not only more easily able to maintain their weight, but also more efficient at burning abdominal fat, which we all know is the most stubborn kind.
3. Fountain of Youth: Coconut oil stops the process of oxidation. This is good because oxidation breaks down the healthy fats and tissues in the body, which encourages the process of aging.
4. Immune System Insurance: Remember before when I mentioned that coconut oil fights oxidation? Well, rigorous exercise triggers oxidation. And since oxidation breaks down healthy fats and tissues, our bodies ability to fight off illness is weakened when we exercise. Coconut oil is a great immunity booster, especially for athletes who are more prone to a weakened immune system as a result of intense training.
5. Oh-so-Satiating: The healthy fats in coconut oil keep its consumers feeling fuller for longer, which prevents overeating. One study showed that adding medium chain triglycerides, like coconut oil, to the participants diet caused them to spontaneously reduce their daily caloric intake by 256 calories. (AKA: Lose weight the natural way!)
6. Medium-chain Triglycer-whats?: Coconut oil is made up of medium chain triglycerides (or medium chain fatty acids). It’s a kind of fat that’s made up of 6-10 carbon molecules and is therefore used by the body as energy immediately (just like carbohydrates), unlike oils that are made of long chain fatty acids, which are more likely to be stored as fat.
7. Take care of your tummy: Coconut oil has been shown to ease digestion. It can be especially helpful for Runners and athletes who experience stomach upset as a result of training. (Don’t pretend like you’ve never experienced THAT before, runners.)
8. Heart Healthy: A few studies have shown that coconut oil may increase HDL (good) cholesterol and decrease LDL (bad) cholesterol.
9. Best Friend to Blood Sugar: Regular intake of coconut oil can improve the body’s use of insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar levels. This is important because it increases your body’s ability to more effectively at break down and use sugar as energy.
10. Tastier Treats: Like I said before, it’s so fragrant and flavorful that it turns any food you add it to into The Most Exquisite Item You’ve Ever Eaten. There are no “official studies” to prove this, but I’ve done plenty of experimenting in my own kitchen and have a few exhibits to back my standings. See: “4 Easy Coconut Oil Recipes”.