At the risk of sounding like a health food newbie, I’m going to start off by saying that up until a week or two ago, I actually didn’t even really know that wheat germ was a thing. I mean, I guess I had heard of it before, but I definitely didn’t have any idea what it was or what you could do with it.
But now, thanks to some new friends at Kretschmer, that has all changed. And since my job is to inspire and empower all of you to be healthier and happier, I’m going to fill you in on what wheat germ is, how adding it to your diet can be beneficial to your health, and how to make some super awesome dishes using it. That is, unless you already know all about it. In which case, way to go! You’re so ahead of the Healthy Curve.
So far, I’ve only tested out this newly discovered super-food as a topping for my oatmeal at breakfast (pictured above) and a Greek yogurt mix-in for an after dinner snack. (Creative, I know!)
Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt with raisins, crumbled graham crackers, and of course, wheat germ.
Usually, I mix my yogurt with granola and almonds or fruit, but after trying this out for the first time a day or two ago, I’m totally sold on wheat germ. It added a perfect not-too-sweet crunch to the yogurt and now I’m just dreaming up all of the other ways I can make use of it.
Like say, in a roasted vegetable dish or a batch of pancakes!
But before I start testing out a dozen new recipes (which, you know I will), first let’s find out why this stuff is so good for you.
7 Things You Didn’t Know About Wheat Germ
1. Wheat Germ is the part of a wheat plant that sprouts and grows into a new plant and though it’s actually teeny tiny, it’s packed with protein and a ton of essential vitamins and minerals.
2. It contains vitamin E, an antioxidant, and folic acid, an essential B-vitamin. Both help protect and make new cells so that your body can fight off disease.
3. It’s full of magnesium, which works to keep your heart, bones, AND your immune system strong.
4. Wheat germ contains the B-vitamin Thiamin, which helps the body convert carbs into energy. Necessary for runners and all athletes alike!
5. It’s packed with phosphorus too. An important mineral that aides calcium with building strong bones and teeth.
6. Keep counting the minerals! Wheat germ is also filled with Zinc, which has many functions, like healing wounds and fighting off viruses.
7. Protein punch! That’s right. Bet you didn’t know that wheat germ is an excellent source of plant-based protein. Plus, it only contains healthy polyunsaturated fats.
Wow, can you say, SUPER-FOOD? I’m a little bit upset that I’ve only just been introduced to this powerhouse of a food. If you’ve never had a chance to try it before, I don’t want you to have to wait any longer. So, I’m giving away a jar of Kretschmer Wheat Germ + one Organic Oikos Greek Yogurt to one lucky Hungry Reader!
Continue reading to find out how to enter!