“What’s the app that you use to track your run workouts?”
Oh, if only I had a nickle for every time someone asked me that question.
Not that I’m annoyed that it gets asked so frequently (especially when I post images like the one above on Instagram), because I’m not. I’m not annoyed at all. Just that I’d have a lot more money than I do now if that were the case.
On Instagram, I’ve answered this FAQ dozens of times, but let this be my official, for the record announcement: The iPhone app that I use to keep track of my running workouts is MapMyRun. Oh my gosh, I sound like some sort of celebrity athlete endorsing a sports drink or something. That is totally not the case here, though. (I am neither sponsored nor endorsed by Map My Run.) I just genuinely love this app because it does exactly what its name says, and it does it well.
You turn it on at the start of your outdoor running workout and it uses your phone’s GPS to track your route and distance. When you record a run it will also track your speed and log your average pace when you’re finished and the results are finalized.
When I first started running I downloaded almost every “run tracking” app I could find and one by one, tried them all out. MapMyRun was the one that stuck for me. The interface is simple and self-explanatory and to my knowledge, its GPS tracking is the most accurate. (Yes, I’ve tested it using my car’s speedometer.)
Even though I knew that the app had features beyond simply tracking your distance, speed, and route, up until recently I had only been using the app for those three basic functions. But over the past few weeks I’ve taken the app’s MVP upgrade out for a few test
drives runs, and it’s basically turned my phone into my very own, personal running coach. In particular, there are three specific features that have really helped take my workouts to the next level.
3 New Ways to ‘Map Your Run’ (With MapMyRun’s MVP Upgrade)
1. Pace Coaching: Before you start your run, you can set a goal pace. As you go through your workout, the “coach” will chime in to let you know if you are on, ahead of, or behind your pace. You can also choose how often (every 2,3, 4 minutes etc.) you’d like for her to update you. This feature is especially great for speed training outdoors. If you are training for race and have a goal time you are trying to achieve, you can set the pace coach to the appropriate level to ensure you’re working at the correct threshold.
2. Split Data: At the end of each run, along with your distance, route, and speed stats, the MVP package provides you with information regarding how long it took you to complete each mile of your run. This is especially helpful for negative split workouts where the goal is to achieve a faster time with each mile completed.
3. Route Planning: Planning out your route ensures that you get exactly the kind of workout you’re planning on. Too many times have I skimped on a workout because I didn’t plan my route or think about where or how far I wanted to run. Don’t get me wrong, heading out the door and just “winging it” is great for a leisurely weekend workout. But the new advanced mapping feature is almost a necessity for me now while I’m training for races. You can pick a recommended route by entering the area and distance you would like to run or plan and customize your own route.
Those are just my top three, personal favorite features, but some of the other features that come with the upgrade include:
- Heart Rate / Power / Cadence Analysis – Improve performance by tracking data and peaks during your workout using your Polar watch, Nike+, Adidas, FitBit, CycleOps, Wahoo, Garmin and other compatible equipment.
- Advanced Leader board Filters – Compare your stats with the competition and friends
- Training Plans
- Live Tracking – Live social media updates about your workout
You can upgrade to the Map My Run MVP Package for $5.99/month or $29.99 for a yearly subscription.
I’m also giving away one MapMyRun MVP Package Upgrade here on hungry-runner.com! Here’s how you can enter to win:
1. Use MapMyRun to track one of your upcoming workouts.
2. Use your phone to take a screenshot of your run results when your workout is done. (Like the example shown below.)
3. Follow HungryRunner on Instagram.
4. Post your MapMyRun workout recap screenshot as a photo on Instagram with the caption, “I want to win an #MapMyRun MVP Upgrade from @hungryrunner and @mapmyfitness” Be sure to include @HungryRunner in your post so I am notified that you’ve posted it.
5. Bonus Points: Feel free to personalize your post (like I often do, example below) using a photo editor app like Picframe!
This giveaway will be open until Midnight on Tuesday March 5th. I will use a randomizer to choose a winner and announce it here (within this post) and on my Instagram profile on Wednesday, March 6th, so be sure to follow me and MapMyFitness on Instagram and to check back here to find out who won. If the chosen winner does not reply within 48 hours of being notified, a new winner will be chosen.
Which MapMyRun MVP feature do you think would be most helpful or would you be most excited to try?