My last running playlist update was at the beginning of the summer, so this one is certainly long overdue.
I’ve added a good amount of songs to my running repertoire since then. Plus, I also want to share my 2016 NYC Marathon Playlist.
My race playlists are always a little more carefully curated then my regular, everyday running playlists.
For my regular running playlists I’ll throw in a really wide range of songs, including songs that I’ve only heard a little bit of and I’m not even sure if I like. That way I can test out new songs while I’m running and it’s not such a big deal if I feel like it’s a dud.
But for race day, you can’t have any duds. I mean, at least I can’t. I need an entire playlist of songs that makes me want to jump out of my chair and rock out like I just scored a touchdown in the Super Bowl.
But that’s just me.
OK so first, here is my most recent “regular” running playlist. It doesn’t suck or anything (at least I don’t think so), but these are songs I like and enjoy running to, but that don’t quite have that World Series “wow” factor that qualifies for my race day running playlist.
Fall 2016 Running Playlist
- Treat You Better – Sean Mendes
- Starving – Hailee Steinfeld
- Let Me Love You – DJ Snake
- Never Be Like You (Feat. Kai) Flume
- Roll Up – Fitz and the Tantrums
- All We Know – The Chainsmokers
- Greenlight- Pitbull
- Call On Me (Ryan Ribsck Remix) -Starley
- Smoke Break – Carrie Underwood
- Run – Delts Rae
- Don’t Wanna Know – Maroon 5
- You Gotta Not – Little Mix
You can listen to it/follow it here on Spotify.
Now, for my marathon race day playlist, which is actually quite short because I don’t plan on listening to music unless I REALLY need it. I’ll probably turn it on during some of the spots on the course where there are less crowds on the sidelines (like on the bridges and in upper Manhattan.
2016 NYC Marathon Playlist
- Unstopabble – Sia
- Fight Song – Rachel Platten
- Sit Still, Look Pretty – Daiya
- Cold Water – Major Lazer (Feat. Justin Bieber and MO)
- Die Young -Ke$ha
- Timber – Pitbull (Feat. Ke$ha)
- Touch The Sky – Brave Soundtrack
- Don’t Let Me Down – The Chainsmokers
- Emily – Mika
- Work This Body – Walk The Moon
- The Greatest – Sia
- Homecoming – Kanye West
You can listen to/follow my marathon playlist on Spotify here.
If all else fails, and I really need an extra motivation boost, my plan is to play Sia’s “The Greatest” on a loop for as long as I need. The lyrics are the best:
“I won’t give up, dont give up…”
“Running out of breath, but I got stamina…”
And I think she has also inspired me to use “I won’t give up” as my mantra to repeat when I’m feeling like I’m battling The Wall.
Simple, but effective.
Aside from that, my other mental strategy is to remind myself of the following reasons I decided to run the marathon when I’m feeling like my legs might crumble or I want to quit:
- Because Marathon Day is my favorite day of the year in NYC and years when I’m not running I feel sad and/or jealous of the other runners
- To prove to myself that I can run it faster than I did last time and that I can finish the whole race without walking (last time I walked several times)
- For the simple reason that I love to run, and especially love distance running
- Because I want to inspire anyone out there who might have doubts about what they can accomplish
I have to commit all of these reasons to memory because when the miles start to build up and my legs are calling out for relief, they will keep me running strong — or at least moving forward!
Alrighty folks, that’s a wrap on my final blog post before the race tomorrow. If you want to follow my race day shenanigans from the start line to the finish, head over to my Instagram page and follow me there.
Next time you hear from me here, I’ll be sharing me race recap. AHHH!
But for now, head down to the comments and let me know…
What are your favorite running playlist songs right now? Leave a comment and let me know! I would love some more recommendations!
P.S. To celebrate NYC Marathon week, I’m hosting an EPIC fall running gear giveaway with my friends at Only Atoms. There’s $500 in prizes up for grabs and there will be lots of winners, so click here to enter for a chance to win!