(Recipe adapted from Self Magazine)
If these Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes by The Realistic Nutritionist are the best whole wheat pancakes ever (and I’ve previously declared that they are), then these fruit and nut pancakes that I adapted from a recipe in Self Magazine are… also the best whole wheat pancakes ever. It’s possible for both of them to be the best. Trust me. They’re just the best in different ways. These are especially awesome because they’re vegan and very berry-licious. Give ‘em a try. You’ll see!
—Banana Berry Pancakes—
What you’ll need:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup nuts (I used walnuts, which I highly recommend but almonds or pecans work too!)
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 & 1/2 bananas
1 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1/4 cup applesauce (Original recipe called for 1 egg. If you choose to use an egg, remove 1/2 tsp of baking powder.)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mixed frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
What to do:
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, oats, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. In a separate bowl, mash 1 banana, then add milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
3. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and mix until well-blended.
3. Slice half of another banana and stir into mixture. Add berries.
4. Warm a skillet and coat with oil, butter, or cooking spray. Pour batter onto skillet, about 1/4 cup for each pancake and cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side).