I eat a lot of chick peas. And I mean, why not? They’re full of protein and go with almost everything. OK, maybe not everything. But they really do make the perfect addition to many a meal.
Except, with this lunch, I wanted to do something different with them, you know? I wanted them to be more than just an addition. So I decided to mash them, mix them, and then stuff them into a pita pocket. Not a bad idea. In fact, it was a brilliant idea if I do say so myself! It’s kind of like hummus, but not quite, really. So we can call it, Almost Hummus. Here’s how to make it:
—Chick Pea Pita Pocket Mash-Up—
What You’ll Need:
1 pita pocket
1/2 cup chick peas, drained
1 cup baby spinach, shredded
1/4 cup purple onion, diced
5 baby grape tomatoes, chopped (optional)
3 T plain Greek yogurt
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. mustard
2 tsp. honey
1 T olive oil
What to do:
1. Follow the directions to make my Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard Dressing.
2. In a separate bowl, mash the chick peas with a fork.
3. Pour the dressing over the mashed chick peas and mix until well blended.
4. Toss in the spinach, chopped onion, and tomatoes and mix again.
5. Stuff your pita pocket with the Almost Hummus mixture and enjoy!