Traditional, classic French toast: Good.
Blueberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast: The Best!
No seriously. Like, actually the best.
And this is coming from a girl who would choose a banana-flavored breakfast over any other fruit flavor 364 days out of the 365 in a year. That one non-banana day though, I’m going for blueberries in my French toast all the way.
Blueberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast
Makes 1 serving
1 slice of 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread
2 T cream cheese, softened in microwave so that it’s easily spread (I use Organic Valley)
1 cup blueberries
2 T whole grain quick oats
1 T brown sugar
1/2 (small) pat unsalted butter, softened in microwave
1. Make the crumble topping by first softening the quick oats in the microwave with a dash of water or almond milk. Stir the warmed oats with the brown sugar and butter, until a sticky crumble starts to form.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg. Cut the bread into two halves.
3. Dip one half of the bread into the egg and place on an oiled skillet over low heat. Spread half the cream cheese onto the bread, then top with half of the blueberries.
4. Drop the other half of the cream cheese on top of the blueberries and spread over as much as possible.
5. Dip the other half of the bread into the remaining egg and place over top of blueberry and cream cheese filling.
6. Turn the stove’s heat up to medium and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove French toast from skillet and top with crumble and more blueberries!