The only time I’ve ever made chili before this, is the time when I tried Fit Sugar’s Insanely Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe. (Which was oh-my-god-delicious, by the way!) But when I came across Chocolate Covered Katie’s Sweet Potato Chili recipe, I knew I had to immediately drop whatever it was I was doing and put my amateur chili-making skills to the test once again. Because if there’s one thing better than homemade chili, it’s homemade chili with sweet potatoes. So, this is my Black Bean, Sweet Potato Chili recipe that is a sweet and savory mixture of the two previously mentioned recipes!
-Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili-
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green or red bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- Sprinkle of oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes (or just 1/2 of a large tomato, diced)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, boiled, and cubed
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock (or water for a less thick mixture)
What to do:
1.) Heat the olive oil, garlic, and onions in a medium sized sauce pan. (1-2 minutes)
2.) Add the bell pepper and heat for another 1-2 minutes, then add spices: salt, pepper, paprika, cumin seeds, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg.
3.) Add in the beans, tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato paste, and chili powder. Cook for about 20 minutes until thickened.
4.) Lower heat, and at your discretion, add 1-2 cups of vegetable broth (or water) to thin mixture to desired consistency.