Mmm, who doesn’t love a good pasta dish? I grew up eating pasta every Sunday at my grandma’s house: Baked ziti, lasagna, manicotti, raviolis. Of course, what made all of these dishes so great was my grandma’s homemade sauce. (Oh an also all of the cheese.)
Unfortunately, I can’t give you her super secret sauce recipe. But what I can tell you is how to make this easy and nutritious whole wheat and veggie pasta dish that will leave your tummy smiling for many hours after you’ve finished eating.
Whole Wheat Pasta With Veggies Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 box whole wheat pasta (I used Rotini style)
- 1 can tomato sauce (brand of your choice, or make your own!)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (add more if you like it to be extra cheesy)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add in the chopped bell pepper and broccoli and drizzle with third table spoon of olive oil. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Cook the pasta in a separate pot.
3. When pasta is finished cooking, drain using a colander and return pasta to pot. Mix in the tomato sauce and then the ricotta cheese, stirring until well blended.
4. Add the cooked bell pepper and broccoli to the pasta mixture and stir again.
5. Fill a large baking tin (I used an 8×4) with half of the pasta mixture. Cover with half of the mozzarella cheese. Add the rest of the pasta to the tin and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted and gooey.
(Makes about 6 servings)